I don’t know about you, but store bought energy bars sort of gross me out. When I need a little something sweet and satisfying these will do the trick. I have amended a recipe from one green planet.
These bars are super good; let me know what you think. I usually store a bunch in the freezer and take them along to snack on during the day.
*Note these are more delicate than store bought energy bars, so place them in a glass sealed container rather than a plastic bag, they will hold and travel better.
Raw Super Food Energy Bars with Dark Chocolate
(note: I have amended the original recipe)
makes 20- 2 inch diameter bites
You will need:
– 1 cup walnuts
– 1/3 cup chia seeds ( *optional they are really rough on the teeth)
– 1/3 cup ground flax seeds
– 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
– 1/4 cup cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips
– 1/4 cup coconut flakes
– 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
– 1 cup raisins
– 2 cup dates ( remove the pit)
– 1-2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, as needed
– 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips melted
- Throw the dry ingredients in your food processor, then add the dates and raisins and process until everything it starts to stick together for at least 5 minutes it needs to resemble a paste. If it’s too dry, add more dates or coconut oil.
- Mix in with your hands, forming rounds balls (note you really need to press together the mix) take the balls and press into a small muffin tin.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute, whisk to smooth
- Carefully remove the energy bar cups from the tin and top off with melted chocolate let them cool in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.