Last year I designed a Kenucky Derby themed party for Minted . With a few touches and a nod to the race, it was a pretty simple party to pull together. As a stylist, I also try to come up with a color theme, and then go from there. In this case greens and pinks, with silver and gold touches, roses, silver trophies, and a touch of vintage was the thing.
Here’s a list of of elements of the party you can easily put together.
1. Rent some trophies: most local antique or vintage stores have no problem renting things (think like a stylist)
2. You can also get vintage ribbons online, or again rent them from a vintage store.
3. Buy plastic horses: I suggest going to Amazon spray paint them gold
4. Use candy jars and fill them with the plastic horses
5. Flowers? Roses of course.
6. Paper fans can be used to make winners’ ribbons
7. Find vintage riding photos in black and white to create a collage
8. Serve mint juleps with striped straws
9. Use mint julep cups for arrangements
9. Ask guests to wear hats, and have a “best hat” contest
Let me know how it goes.
Just know: by collecting a few horse themed things and choosing just the right color scheme, you can have a wonderful day at the races. …and they’re off!
Photos By: Leslie Grahamcelebration Entertaining Events Holiday Holiday Decor Holiday Entertaining Holidays how to be a stylist Parties party tips specialty cocktails Styling stylist tips : Tags: kentucky derby, mint juleps, minted, party, party tips, Styling