Many people ask me why I love Italy so much. The truth is if I ask myself this question, there’s no one answer, really.
So here’s a list of 10 things I love about Italy. Some of these may surprise you, and of course, some are very obvious.
1. Espresso with a brioche, from the right bar is the best way to start the day. Lucky for me in our little village, 3 sisters own the best bar in town complete with homemade pastries. The crowds throwing down espresso and scarfing down pastries in the early morning at the bar gives me such joy. It’s like watching some strange and other worldly ritual.
2. Small cars. I love the idea that my Fiat 500 is not considered a tiny car in Italy.
3. Pop-up markets. All over Italy, markets in the square are a common thing featuring everything from winter coats and antiques to porchetta sandwiches.
4. Nonni (grandmas and grandpas) sitting in the square. One thing about Italy is that they love their elders.
5. Church candles, always lit inside. I love stepping into a church anytime of day.
6.Everything opens early. I love that everything is open in the morning and the bustle of daily chores.
7. The Butcher. One thing I miss when I am back in Atlanta is a proper butcher shop.
8. The train. The train to anywhere in Italy is exciting. I love the discussions and the polite behavior in a first class cabin. So old world.
9. Toast at the Autogrill, my guilty pleasure. Whenever I can, I have a grilled sandwich at the Autogrill.
10. Aperitivo, the cocktail ritual that is the best time of the day. It’s so fun. In fact, my next book is based on the subject.
behind the scenes italian cooking italian riviera italy Notes from Italy Personal Travel Tuscany Uncategorized
: Tags: annette joseph
, Behind the Scenes
, italian riviera
, my book