These lovely little two-bite morsels are savory and salty with a crunch—perfect to serve with a chilled citrus-y glass of Prosecco during the holiday season or even a sparkling Rose in the summertime.
It’s one of my favorite quick appetizers that uses one of my favorite ingredients: Parmesan cheese.
Caprese Salad Crisps with Tomato Jam
Makes about 32
For the Tomato Jam:
You will need:
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 garlic clove, chopped
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 4 large heirloom tomatoes, coarsely chopped
– 3 tablespoons sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place ingredients into a medium pot over medium heat for 15 minutes, set aside to cool. This step may be done a couple days in advance, and placed in the refrigerator in a sealed container until ready to use.
For the Parmesan Crisps:
You will need:
– 8 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 4 cups)
– Place 2 tablespoons of Parmesan on a cookie sheet fitted with a silpat.
– Arrange the spoonfuls about 3 inches apart as they will spread to form round crisps.
Place in a 350 F degree oven for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool before assembling the appetizer.
– 1 (8-ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
– 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Place a dollop of jam on top of the crisp, and add cubes of mozzarella and garnish with a basil leaf.
From my book Picture Perfect Parties RIzzoli NY
cooking dinner party Entertaining Holiday Holiday Entertaining holiday recipes Holidays italian cooking Parties Picture Perfect Parties Recipes Uncategorized : Tags: annette joseph, appetizer, caprese, entertaining, holiday appetizer, holidays, my book, parmesan cheese, picture perfect parties, recipe, recipes